History and Restoration of All Angels

All Angels Episcopal Church was built in the Queen Anne Victorian style in 1899 on North Jefferson Avenue, as a mission of St. Stephen's church, Milledgeville and prospered for 18 years.
However, by 1917 the boll weevil had devastated the cotton economy in Putnam County, and the church was forced to close its doors. Bishop Mikell sold the property in December 1919. The church was then converted to a private dwelling and remained so with several owners until 1999.
All Angels Church
In August 1999, fourteen eager Putnam County Episcopalians purchased the 1899 All Angels Church building and began restorations. Bishop Frank Allan granted permission to use the original name of "All Angels".
Interior of All Angels
Between August and December 24, 1999, nearly eighty years worth of added interior walls, a loft area, kitchen, and other additions were removed. The original heart pine wallboards, scissor-truss beams, and flooring were all intact.
Holy Eucharist Service on Christmas Eve 1999 was attended by a standing-room only crowd of members and well-wishers. "Angels" from other churches in Eatonton, Athens, Gainesville, Madison, Milledgeville, Monroe, Atlanta and New Jersey aided the restoration with their labor, money, and in-kind gifts The restoration and furnishings were all paid for by Dec. 24, 1999.
A pair of circa 1810 gilded carved wooden angels were placed on loan by a supporter and flank the altar.
Angel one
Angel two
Antique stained-glass windows, originally installed in 1904 and 1905 in the sanctuary of the Second Street Methodist Church in Macon, Georgia, which was razed in 1999, were purchased by All Angels in 1999 and installed in the sanctuary. The large Communion Chalice and Grapes altar window and the Cross and Crown and Ruby Cross windows were installed in 1999 and 2000.
Window behind altar
Red Stained Glass Cross
Cross and Crown stained glass window
Bishop Allan granted status as a Chapel of St. Stephens's Church and, in November 2000, granted priest-in-charge status to the Reverend Robert B. Dendtler.
Shortly after his ordination as the ninth Bishop of the Diocese of Atlanta, the Right Reverend J. Neil Alexander initiated a final process of examination based on Canon law. All Angels met the requirements, and an invitation was extended to petition the Diocese for admittance as a parish at the ninety-fifth Annual Council on November 9, 2001, at the Cathedral of St. Philip in Atlanta.
All Angels' delegates were the Reverend Dendtler, Anna M. Haslbauer, and James P. Marshall, Jr. joined by several other members as the group proudly entered the Hall of Bishops to be formally recognized. On Sunday, November 11, 2001, the Steering Committee of All Angels met following morning worship and renamed itself the Vestry of All Angels and invited the Reverend Dendtler to become its first rector. Bishop Alexander dedicated and consecrated All Angels on Sunday, January 27, 2002, followed by a celebration supper.
Seven matching companion windows were restored and installed in 2004. The names of the 1904 donors as well as the donors to All Angels were placed on plaques with each window.
On May 18, 2011, Bishop Alexander visited All Angels to perform a ground breaking ceremony for our parish hall, which was named the "Vanna Jean Wood Parish Hall". Vanna succumbed to ALS but she lives on in our memories.
For more information on the building of the parish hall, click here
Ground breaking for parish hall
Home Page Top of Page